Last Game Results

Lacombe Generals


Stony Plain Eagles

Featured Player


Eagles Stymied by Fort Sask

Posted on 01/31/2017

The Eagles faced off against cross city rivals Fort Sask Chiefs last Sunday @ 8 pm in what has slowly become a very heated rivalry.

The Eagles opened with a bang early as Scott Aucoin, who is on a bit of a roll lately, opened the scoring on a nice individual effort darting up the ice and through multiple Chiefs to score low glove on recently acquired net minder Shannon Szabados just 3:18 into the game. After Aucoin’s tally, the action was back and forth with both teams trading chances in the period as the teams played firewagon hockey with turnovers turning into many chances. In a goal mouth scramble later in the period, none other than Ryan Smyth poked in a rebound to put the Eagles ahead, but the ref blew his whistle before the puck went in, NO goal.  The Chiefs managed to knot the game at 1, scoring with 28 seconds left in period on the powerplay when a missed shot wide fortunately bounced right on the stick of Jordan Hoffman for an easy empty net tap in.

The Second period started and it was all Eagles. Chad Hohmann scored what would have been the go ahead goal on a one-timer in the slot on a slick feed from Burke Gallimore, but the goal was again waived off as the referee deemed the net was off as the goal went in. The luck seemed to shift to Fort Sask’s favour after the second no-goal, as they quickly pounced for back to back goals just 9 seconds apart. At no fault of his own, Travis Yonkman came in relief of goalie Vinny Morrozzi to try and change the momentum. To help turn things around Riley Miller squared off for the Eagles first fight of the season to spark the team in a spirited scrap.  The Eagles threw everything at the net trying to claw back into the game hitting multiple posts and crossbars, but again the Chiefs struck with a powerplay goal to make the lead 4-1. For the 3rd time that evening the Eagles thought they had scored as Bryce Williamson stick handled his way to the net and deposited a backhand into the net, where yet again the goal was waived off as the referee did not see the puck cross the line. To rub salt in the wound, on a delayed powerplay with the Eagles net empty, an errant pass in the Fort Sask. zone trickled all the way down the ice for an empty net goal. Wrapping up the 2nd period, the Chiefs once again found the net for the 5th goal of the frame on 16 shots, while the eagles had managed 21 shots.

The 3rd period was all Eagles, as they pushed for an epic comeback. Ryan Smyth was sprung 5 minutes into the period for a breakaway on a stretch pass by former Chief Richard Kelly, calm and cool Smytty deposited the puck 5 hole on Shannon Szabados. The Eagles kept coming in waves, sending more pucks off the posts and crossbar as the game intensified with after whistle scrums and penalties. Chance after chance the Eagles were finally able to break through with 2:03 remaining, as Chad Hohmann tipped home a Colten Hayes point shot to cut the score to 6-3. With 57 seconds left Colton Hayes fired a hard wrister beating Szabados high to the glove side. The final minute saw feverish action and many chances in the Fort Sask. zone but that was as close as the Eagles would get, dropping this crazy Sunday night affair 6-4 to the Chiefs.